To me there is nothing more nostalgic than mason jars and COOL WHIP whipped topping. I can remember all of the fun desserts grandma put together. They were sweet, yummy, and COOL WHIP creamy.
We used to go to a famous fast food (11 herbs and spices) chicken restaurant where they served a lemon parfait in a cup. I loved it so much that grandma would make it for us at home. I enjoyed her version so much more. To this day when I hear a spoon clank on the side of a jar I think of those days and smile.
It makes me happy to share those same moments with my kids. One of our favorites is Lemon Creme Pudding.
Here is grandma’s recipe:
- 2 lg eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder(or cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter (not margarine)
- COOL WHIP whipped topping
- a couple of handfuls of Vanilla Wafers, crushed
- small Mason Jars
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs.
- In a medium sauce pan mix sugar, arrowroot powder, and flour. Stir in buttermilk and place pot on burner. Turn heat on medium and gently stir until it is simmering (about 12-15 minutes). Remove from heat.
- About a quarter cup at a time, whisk some of the buttermilk mixture into the eggs. Don’t add too much at once or you will have scrambled eggs. Once the eggs and some of the buttermilk mixture are completely mixed add it all back to the pan with the rest of the buttermilk mixture.
- Add the lemon peel, lemon juice, and butter.
- Stir gently until a thick coating forms on the spoon. This takes about 5-7 minutes.
- Spoon the pudding into a glass bowl and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Crush the vanilla wafers to a crumble and put a layer inside each jar.
- Spoon in a tablespoon of pudding.
- Add another layer of crumbs.
- Spoon in another tablespoon of pudding.
- Add a dollop of COOL WHIP whipped topping.
- Sprinkle with some lemon zest.
Do you have any favorite desserts from your childhood? Do you still enjoy them today? Reply below for a chance to win a KitchenAid mixer from COOL WHIP to create even more wonderful desserts!
Visit the COOL WHIP Facebook page to see more recipes and to share your own COOL WHIP creations!
Sponsored posts are purely editorial content that we are pleased to have presented by a participating sponsor. Advertisers do not produce the content. Official Sweepstakes Rules.