I am a die-hard natural cleaning mama. With four boys, a Boxer, and a Shepherd Lab mix, both of whom think they are one of the children, I have lots of dirt and grime to clean up. Several years ago it occurred to me that although I was cleaning the main surfaces I was overlooking some equally dirty ones. It wasn’t until the umpteenth time that I grabbed a hold of something and realized how dirty it was that I got a clue. I’ll share some of those spots with you.
First, you need a great cleaning All-Purpose Spray. I have my own recipe made from natural, safe, non-toxic ingredients but you can use whatever you are comfortable with.
So what are the spots we shouldn’t overlook? Here they are:
- Clean your walls.
- Clean and disinfect light switches, door knobs, remotes, and phones.
- Clean small appliances.
- Clean behind and under large appliances. Don’t forget to clean behind handles and the air vents.
- Clean stepping stools.
- Clean cabinet doors and knobs. Clean the space above cabinets.
- Clean range hood. And the greasy grill that covers the fan too.
- Clean ceiling fan blades.
- Clean and disinfect trash cans.
- Clean tracks and rails of sliding doors.
- Clean off curtains by tossing into the dryer on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Clean and disinfect toilet brushes and plungers. Clean well with a disinfectant like hydrogen peroxide then leave outdoors in the sun to dry.
- Clean your dryer vent. No I don’t mean just pull the lint out. Wash it with soapy water. If you use a fabric softener then chances are your dryer vent is getting clogged. Try running water through it. Now wash it with soap and water. Run water through it again. Notice a difference?
It is so easy to overlook certain things when speed cleaning but if you add just one of these a day to your chores then you can get them all done twice a month! Right What are some spots that you can add to the list? I know I’ve forgotten a few.
And yes, you did read the first sentence of this post correctly. We finally have another girl in the family. A four-month-old Shepherd Boxer Lab mix named Shylah. I have no idea what has gotten into me lately.